Apply Today to Join the 2020 Resist Executive Youth Council!
Applicants must be in grades 7-11 in the fall of 2020.
The Resist Youth Council is the guiding body for the Resist movement. Council members will plan, implement and participate in statewide events, activities, and marketing strategies for Resist. They will play an important role in their community and at the state level. They will engage in local activism, promote policy change, serve as youth leaders, educate their peers on tobacco issues and empower others to start taking action! The Council’s mission is to inspire, lead and unite communities across Kansas to fight against Big Tobacco.
What to Expect
Youth Council members will get to meet new friends, travel, build their resume and attain leadership skills. Council members will receive opportunities to engage in state-wide and national initiatives, hold fun events, fight Big Tobacco and have a blast while doing it. Members will serve from December 2019-December 2020.
Some responsibilities include:
- 75% Participation in conference calls on the third Sunday of every month
- 100% Attendance at in-person meetings (January in-person, June in-person)
- Assistance in planning and leading activism events (Kick Butts Day, World No Tobacco Day, etc.)
- Hold your own advocacy activity at your school
- Become a trainer in Taking Down Tobacco and train at least 30 kids in your community
- Fulfillment of Youth Council expectations (as agreed upon at the January meeting)
Attendance at Council meetings and participation in conference calls is essential to your role on the Council. These meetings need to be a priority in the Council member’s schedules. Attendance at the following dates and 75% of the conference calls is mandatory for each Council member. Failure to meet these requirements may result in dismissal from the Council. Transportation, lodging and meals will be provided when necessary.
Dates to Know
- Monday, December 9, 2019: COUNCIL APPLICATION DEADLINE
- Wednesday, December 11, 2019: Council Member Announcements will be made
- Every 3rd Sunday of each Month: Council Conference Calls
- January 18, 2020: First In-Person Council Meeting
- March 4 & 5, 2020: Resist Rally and Kick Butts Day at the Capitol
- May 31 & June 1, 2020: June In-Person Council meeting